Kale and Pumpkin Pasta
Gemelli is a pasta composed of two single noodle strands twisted together. Unsurprisingly, gemelli happens to mean “twins” in Italian. According to the Pasta and Sauce pairing guide, gemelli is a great baking pasta. Since it’s November and pumpkins are everywhere, I made baked gemelli with kale and pumpkin.
When I told Chef that I made pumpkin pasta, he squirmed because in all honesty, cooking is not my forte. For some odd reason, I tend to be pretty successful when I bake things. Probably because baked things usually come with directions and recipes? In this case, I had some help from Martha.
For 8 servings (adapted from Martha Stewart):
- 1 lb. gemelli pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. kale, thick stems removed, leaves chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 can (29 oz.) pumpkin purée
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. pesto
- 1/2 c. unblanched almonds, sliced
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Cook pasta, and drain; reserve. Preheat oven to 400F. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
Add kale; cook, stirring, until wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth, and pesto (you can use a jarred one to save time); then add the pumpkin purée.
Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Toss pasta with pumpkin-kale mixture. Transfer to eight individual baking dishes. Top with almonds.
Bake until top is golden, which may take about 30 minutes.
Note: Chef liked this pasta. He thought you could taste the pumpkin but in reality, there is so much flavor that contrasts it that there isn’t a strong pumpkin flavor. This dish surprised us and it is pretty good.
- nwfq likes this
- cupcakes-for-breakfast reblogged this from fritesandfries
- utternutter likes this
- tunstall likes this
- cronicasdeponque likes this
- c-raptor likes this
- saymiew likes this
- girlnamedgreen likes this
- jmerz likes this
- marspashkovsky said:Hello. I believe you are a food photographer, correct? I’ve been becoming very interested in that particular field of photography,& was wondering how you got started in that business,& if you have any pointers for how I can get my foot in the door.
- lovelysiren88 likes this
- yayponies likes this
- letmebemoreclear said:You’ll be happy to hear that I made soup with kale in it this weekend and it was lovely! No slugs, and kale is delicious :)
- letmebemoreclear likes this
- fritesandfries posted this