So…we went to Pizza Ranch yesterday (why is that so embarrassing to admit?). There’s been a longstanding rumor that Pizza Ranch has the best fried chicken in Minnesota. Even though we’re not exactly known for our fine Southern cuisine here, I’ve been pretty disappointed at the lack of good fried chicken. I won’t delve into the details of our mediocre dining experience but I’m now definitely very motivated and determined to make a fried chicken post very, very soon (even though I feel kinda gross). After a deep fried dinner, I always go on a 24 hour health kick because the grease just sticks and I end up feeling and looking languid. That’s why I made a quinoa salad with tomato, corn, mozzarella and lime juice for lunch.
Citrusy quinoa salads have always been my favorite lunch dish to eat after a night of deep-fried and greasy foods because there’s something about the acid, lime juice in this case, makes me feel invigorated (or something like that). The fact that it’s called a salad also makes me feel mentally and physically better and healthier as if I had made amends with my body for eating all those greasy/deliciously horrible things.
I love quinoa because it’s a great source of fiber and iron. You may or may not know this, but quinoa is not really a “grain.” It’s considered by most to be a gluten-free seed but it has amazing properties that allows it to act like a grain. You can even make things like quinoa risotto.
[I should totally be a quinoa spokesperson, huh?]
For 4 servings:
- 1 c. quinoa
- 2/3 c. diced fresh mozzarella
- 2/3 c. corn kernels
- 1/3 c. diced red onions
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 2-3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt (or more to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Boil the quinoa and 1 1/2 cup of water in a saucepan. Cover, reduce the heat, and then let it simmer until the liquid is absorbed.
Let the quinoa cool to room temperature. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a mixing bowl; finally, combine the cooled, cooked quinoa and the mixture.
Edit: I’m so holiday exhausted that I can’t even proofread this post.
- afterthecups likes this
- cocoishungry reblogged this from fritesandfries
- chudgston likes this
- missminifer said: Hehe, am secretly a fried chicken fiend also, but you’re right, it’s so greasy that once a year is usually enough! Though if you make it at home at least you know it’s free range, etc?
- missminifer likes this
- jeffdouglass reblogged this from fritesandfries and added:
- klilkitchen likes this
- rosshandler likes this
- rosshandler reblogged this from fritesandfries
- nrrrdlady likes this
- dislikethinkingofuniquenames likes this
- laurenmariecooks likes this
- jodihodi likes this
- bibicuit34 likes this
- thebeautifulmindofdeley likes this
- invayne likes this
- yourstruly2k15 likes this
- theyatemyoptometrist likes this
- vivaciousvicki likes this
- partnalemmeupgradeya likes this
- lilsandthesuperwhowarsathogwarts likes this
- rainbow797 reblogged this from fritesandfries
- jennjamm likes this
- mysteriousserendipity reblogged this from fritesandfries
- iixjustinx likes this
- skratspaper likes this
- caitlinluvsdan reblogged this from fritesandfries
- caitlinluvsdan likes this
- paresatbp likes this
- fritesandfries posted this